Sunday, May 2, 2010

Che Guevara - A Style Symbol of Pop Culture?

By Shivee Sirmauri

I completely don't know. For me, Che Guevara was a revolutionary free-thinker and a complete rebel. I was just checking out his pictures on the internet and I found thousands of pieces of merchandise with his picture and name. It was shocking to know that people adore him as a style icon of pop culture and wear him on their attire. I was just wondering, what exactly do these, so called cool and hip people know about Che Guevara?

How did Guevara became a part of fashion, style and trend? Then I thought, maybe it makes the fashion freaks feel as if they are a part of Che Guevara's revolution, struggle or philosophy. Shockingly and sadly, the majority of the people were unaware of the real Guevara! Most of them mistook him for some pop star.

Then, I started wondering, when these youngsters are unaware of Guevara, why are they making his products so popular? I was also curious to know how anyone can follow a person, about whom he/she has just heard some romanticized stories. What I know about the great revolutionary leader is that he represented intellectualism, rebelliousness, and communism. How he became so "fashionable" is still a mystery to me.

Well, if you are one of those who just want to make a cool fashion statement out of Che Guevara without knowing his history, I will definitely request you to check out how a medical science student became a martyr. Please, don't be a mere part of this fashion arena, don't idolize him, and don't carry his legacy until you know this iconic rebel.

Maybe, I am sounding like a fool who is asking fashion buffs to actually relate themselves to him. But Che Guevara, the symbol and global insignia of youth across the globe is someone you should really go through wiki, at least once. Hope you will enjoy your Che Guevara accessories more after reading this article.

Shivee Sirmauri is a lifestyle writer and you can catch her at http://sugarhoneystar.com/

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Shivee_Sirmauri
http://EzineArticles.com/?Che-Guevara---A-Style-Symbol-of-Pop-Culture?&id=4199562

1 comment: